Friday, May 2, 2008

Welcome to the Real World

It's the end of week three of the new semester and things are as boring as ever. C++ programming is bad once you get to know the higher level languages, interesting how I found it fun last year in innova. Well anyway right now I'm studying 3D Modelling and here's what I'm going to do for my assignment:



Taadaa, a 3D model of a WWII German Panther Tank. It's meant to be low polygon so it renders fast in games, so don't expect too much detail. At 1040 polygons, this is some 3D eye candy. Don't let the simplistic looks fool you, slip on a good texture and this tank will be perfect for a casual java game.

Interestingly, the main frame takes up only around 200 polygons! The bulk of the polygon count comes from the tank tracks and wheels. Thats the bane of polygonal modelling - circles.

In case you're wondering what I used to model this tank, its a program called 3ds Max (also known as 3D Studio MAX), a nifty 3000 dollar application that will eventually be used to create the matrix. Fortunately, this program is available in the school computer labs for me to use. Unfortunately, it cannot be legally transferred to my laptop via the school. READ: Legally and school.

Anyways, here is the photograph of a real panther tank which I used as a reference for my model. (For all I know it could be itself a photorealistic 3d model, thats the thing which those high end models these days, which such hyperreality you cannot differentiate the real from the unreal anymore...)

I'm pretty sure this photograph is authentic, though.



Courtesy of Wikipedia.

Thats all for now. Are you disappointed? Heh.


| HCH - 10:12 PM |