Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Insert relevant search keyword here

Chinese new year has been pretty busy. The usual visitations and such. In perspective, the money from the ang baos and such become pretty irrelevant. I think I'm eating too much heaty food, I hope I don't fall sick. Anyway it's day 2 of the chinese new year and we're relaxing at home because we've done all the bai nian yesterday.

A little peek on what i've been up to:



Switchfoot concert! One night of insane fun! Doubt they would be coming back to singapore in a good while but it was fun while it lasted.



Oil lamp! I made an oil lamp out of an old chicken essence bottle which runs on a mixture of used and unused cooking oil. With mop hair as a wick, it burns extremely well, it is resistant to slight winds and does not extinguish easily. It is also very efficient, being able to burn for well over 8 hours on a full bottle. It smells like oily food too. The flame size can be adjusted by the wick length. The only disadvantage is that oil flames are very, very sooty.



Random.



My chili plant! Got it from a YA service (everyone got one). It's now about a week old already and growing at a good rate. For the first few days it didn't germinate and I thought it had died. But I kept watering it and about three days ago it sprouted. It's now roughly 4cm and I'm going to transplant it soon. Got a bag of topsoil already.



ARROWS! I've not stopped playing with them. As I experimented, my arrows grew in complexity. These two are my latest arrows. As you can see, I've switched back to my 2 fletches instead of 3 fletches because it seemed that they were actually more stable and gave less drag too. To compensate for the loss of 1 fin, I made the remaining ones thicker and slightly wider. I bought a new pack of 12 inch skewers, longer and thicker than the old 8 inch ones. I'm now using 5 rubber bands to launch my new arrows, most of them can punch clean through shoeboxes and tissue boxes, penetrating up to 4 tissue boxes in a row. It's getting increasing difficult to draw back on so many rubber bands but it's worth it. Metal tips allow my new arrows to last longer (since they don't blunt as much as wooden tips) and penetrate harder material, up to 1/4 inch into wood boards and can shatter glass. One problem was that if the arrow impacted a hard surface or hit at an angle, it was prone to warp or even snap. Often the arrowheads would break off with a portion of the shaft. To strengthen my arrows, I duct taped to tip just like people used to use hardwood. The grooves allow the arrow to be properly attached.

I also made signal flares - arrows that have sparkler heads. Since sparklers do not extinguish easily under strong winds, these were perfect for lighting up the night sky. As of now I've only fired one flare since firing it would mean losing the entire arrow as well. The main problem is getting the sparkler to ignite, this was partially solved by strapping on a few match heads to provide ignition heat. Once the sparkler was alight, the arrow could be fired normally or vertically and would create a fiery trail as it traversed across the sky. The short bit of sparkler meant that the arrow would usually be extinguished by the time it hit the ground.

I want to make some passive online income. A few months ago I used google adsense on this blog, however I didnt optimize it and since this is a personal blog I didn't really earn much, in fact, slightly over three dollars to be exact. Disheartened, I removed the ads. Well the ads are not coming back here. Instead, I'm going to create some niche sites, optimize them for keywords and get a few backlinks, hopefully get into page 1 of the SERPs, then monetize them with ads.

Well long post. Goodbye!


| HCH - 11:55 PM |